ANCWT Online Cohort - 2021
Advancing New Canadian Women in Technology (ANCWT) is a bridging employment program for new immigrant and refugee women who have technical skills in STEM fields from their home country and the Canadian job market, established by Dr. Sawsan Abdul-Majid in 2016. The program is hosted at the University of Ottawa .
Between 2016 to 2019, ANCWT has had four cohorts, with 59 graduates to date. ANCWT’s success rate is 69%, with 30% of ANCWT alumnae now registered as Engineers in Training or licensed as professional engineers of Ontario. In 2018, ANCWT received an IMPACT AI award for Advancing Immigrant women in STEM, including a $1000 prize. In 2019, ANCWT was named the Diversity Initiative of The Year at the first Canadian Women in IT Summit in Toronto.
The first ANCWT virtual training program will be offered from June 7th to June 25th, 2021, Monday to Friday (1 Pm -5 Pm).
The cohort is designed to be synchronous and interactive training via uOttawa Brightspace and Zoom. All the sessions will be recorded, and students will be able to access the recordings of the Zoom sessions in Brightspace.
Attendance to at least 60% of all sessions is required to receive a certificate of completion.
ANCWT – COURSE OUTCOMES
- Understanding of the Canadian job market.
- Improve your online job-hunting skills.
- Advance your communication skills to build a strong professional network.
- Pre-employment preparation (Resume, LinkedIn, Interview Skills)
- Develop an understanding of the role of Women in Engineering and the “30 by 30 goal” in Canada.
- Knowledge of the Professional Engineer and Engineering Intern (EIT) licencing program requirements.
- Understand the challenges of gender discrimination.
- Industry panel: representatives from industry are invited to meet ANCWT candidates, kick-starting candidates’ professional networks.
- Learn and practice a three-minute technical pitch presentation.
- Applications of the latest technology in the current job market in Canada.
Additional special course modules offered during the ANCWT online cohort:
- 3-Minute Technical Pitch Event: all registered ANCWT online participants will be trained to communicate their technical expertise concisely and efficiently, using the well-known 3MT competition rules. Expert judges from universities, government institutions, and industry will be invited. In addition to promoting a targeted networking opportunity, our judges’ panel will provide all participants with invaluable feedback. Financial awards are planned to be offered to the winners (during an on-campus event).
- Engineering Laboratory tours: participants interested in academic research will be provided with an opportunity to virtually visit research labs from our supporters and collaborators and have a chance to connect further with the academic environment in Canada.
- Employer Panel: Employers will be invited for an interactive session with cohort participants, moderated by the uOttawa Kanata North director. The panel will include representatives from industry, universities, and government institutions.